I began working for my family’s small business as a young teenager which always inspired me to one day have the opportunity to own my own business. Today, I am the Owner & Operating Manager of the Cedar House Restaurant & Chalets and have been for the past nine years. My experience as a small business owner started in 2008 when I purchased a restaurant and single chalet in the countryside outside of Golden, BC. The excitement of being a business owner coupled with my vision of the potential of the property, kept me fuelled for the long days ahead. I started work every day at 6 am and closed the restaurant by 11:00 pm and was lucky to get everything cleaned up in time to be in bed by 12:30 am to start it all again the next morning. I was the owner, manager, prep cook, shuttle driver, server and dishwasher. I was also the chalet office manager and the housekeeper for the chalet in the mornings after guests checked out. It wasn’t long until I realized I needed more hands on deck!
Having more staff allowed me the time and opportunity to start expanding the business and build 6 more chalets over the next 5 years. Construction has always been a passion of mine and with the help of a good friend we spent evenings dreaming up the next chalet and making the floor plans on a bar napkin at the local pub! We enlisted the help of local trades persons but the majority of the work was with my own two hands and an eye for the details.
In recent years the Cedar House Restaurant & Chalets has become a family run operation. My girlfriend Hilary moved in with me on the property and helps in the chalet office. We have two adorable dogs named Pepper and Bentley and we are expecting our first child in March 2018!
Today I am still very much involved in the day to day operations but focusing mainly on the landscaping and maintenance of the chalets. So the hours aren’t nearly as long as in the beginning! It is quite remarkable when I look at what I have accomplished over the last decade. I take a lot of pride in what I have created and I have a team behind me that has become like family. I have a huge amount of gratitude for those who supported me along the way, believed in my vision and helped me realize my dream.
The Cedar House – In the Media:
- The stunning scenery of the BC Rockies and beyond in 20 images
- Jim Byers Review of Cedar House Chalets
- Top 10 Kootenay Buisness People 2013
- Business of the Year – Kootenay Rockies Tourism
- Kootenay Business Magazine Article, Spring 2011
- SnoRider Magazine
- Bullying Stops Here!
- #1 Specialty Lodging in Golden for 2017 on TripAdvisor
- #1 Specialty Lodging in British Columbia for 2016 on TripAdvisor
- Best Business in the Kootenays’ 2015
- “Top 20 Weekend Getaways in Canada” by Air Canada’s enRoute Magazine
- ‘Best Place to Stay in Golden’ by the Kicking Horse Chamber of Commerce
- Top 50 Places to Eat in Canada by the National Restaurant Guide
- #1 Place to Eat in Golden on TripAdvisor for 2016 on TripAdvisor